Augmented Reality means to enrich and enhance the user’s view of the real world with additional digital information, e.g. a virtual 3D-model that originates from CAD.
This content is made visible on a monitor, a tablet PC, within the user’s field of view using a head-mounted display or projected onto the respective area. Virtual and actual realities merge in the most natural manner that is possible.
metaio Engineer is software that brings Augmented Reality to the industrial field. And it is a perfect complement to an existing measuring arm. The best of both worlds is combined: a quick and direct visualization with the precision of a measuring arm.
With the new release of metaio Engineer 5.0, an interface to support FARO measuring arms is already built-in. All necessary features are integrated by default, from calibration to functions that support your daily tasks.
Previously, in case of quality control every relevant point had to be measured to discover deviations between the CAD model and the related assembly part. metaio Engineer and Augmented Reality accelerate this process by identifying errors and selectively measuring deviations.
These are the basic steps to set up an Augmented Reality system based on e.g the FARO Edge:
1. Mount an industry camera with available adapters onto the grip of the measuring arm
2. Calibrate camera and spatial relation between camera and measuring arm
3. Determine position of the arm in relation to the subject of analysis
4. Visualize a CAD model onto the existing model, part or product
5. Compare planned vs. actual state, measurements and more features